Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garima
Level 3

copy folder to remote system

Hi
I am working on Basic MSI project which requires to copy folder to remote
system during installation. Is there any way in installshield 2008 by which
I am able to connect through remote system ?

Thanks,
Garima
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
packagechief
Level 5

You can add the folder directly in the "Files and Folders" Tab within the
project

IS will then take care to add the folder while the setup process is running
(create it if it dosen't exists on the target and so on)

therefore there is no remote connect needed to the target

or do you mean copy the folder to a second target system while the setup runs?

this coud be made only with a separate Custom Action... cause Windows Installer Process runs only on the local machine on which the app will be installed

see example attached
0 Kudos
garima
Level 3

Yes I have to copy the folder to second target system while set up is running means user enters IP adress of second target system and setup should be able to copy the folder to that second target system.
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

garima wrote:
Yes I have to copy the folder to second target system while set up is running means user enters IP adress of second target system and setup should be able to copy the folder to that second target system.

Well this can't be handle within Install Shield in general due to a limitation of Windows Installer (which runs only on local machine, from where the setup routine was called)
For this case you have to create a separate program (or take a third party tool) which handles the connect, User Inputs, and the copy job to remote system and then you call this "program"within your BASIC MSI File via "Custom Actions" to ensure, that the job will run while the setup routine is executed on PC on which the application will be installed

if you have an .exe or .vbs or .is (Installshieldscript) you can add this files directly in the Custom Action Wizard and the rest is done by IS automatically
0 Kudos
garima
Level 3

Can you give me a clue how we can create folder on remote system through
installscript ? Does installscript provide any inbuilt function by which we can do the same
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

garima wrote:
installscript ? Does installscript provide any inbuilt function by which we can do the same

well not shure but maybe you will find here the solutions

http://www.installsite.org/cgi-bin/frames.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.installsite.org%2Fpages%2Fen%2Fisp_net.htm

there are some useful Installscript Examples..

but as i already said, this is cause a limitation of Windows Installer which can only run on same machine on which the setup process is called
0 Kudos
packagechief
Level 5

garima wrote:

I don't know...but if you search for Installscript Files on the Net i'm shure you will find a solution

as i already said the problem or better the limitation is found within the Windows Installer Service which only manage jobs on the same (localhost, target1 ) machine from where the setup routine was called..therefore this problem can only be handled with a external program which takes care to manage the whole job correctly
0 Kudos