cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idoyohanan
Level 3

components in installshield

Hi,

I don't understand when should I create a component for a dll, exe, ocx file and when not.
What the adventage of component over a regular dll that is linked to a certain path ?

Thanks, Ido
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Not applicable

1.Please check the below MSDN link – it has the required information about component organization, etc…
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368269(VS.85).aspx

2.Answer to your second question – it is dynamic file linking; it is a traditional method of installshield. It was introduced before the best practice (point 1).

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/Helpnet/installshield15helplib/IHelpDynamicFileLinking.htm
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

Sorry, I'm a little confused. I am creating an install with several 'features' available for install. Each of these features had many .dll files...I am confused on if I am supposed to have 1 component that has the many .dll files for each feature (that was the route I was going). Or according to your documentation links you provided, it seems like Install Shield prefers we have 1 component for every .dll file...I guess I don't see the advantage of the components then in this scenario. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

You don't say what kind of install you're planning to do. If it's an MSI-based, then it's not a "preference" of InstallShield, it's a rule for Windows Installer. For versioned files (like dlls) Windows Installer updates based on the version (and language) of the key path of a component. The key path for a file is usually the file itself. That means that if you had, say, files a.exe, b.dll and c.dll in a component, with, say, a.exe as the key file, you couldn't update b.dll or c.dll unless you updated a.exe. Only a version number change in a.exe would trigger that component to be updated, and a component is always updated as a unit.

You might want to read through the Windows Installer documentation on how to set up components and how WI determines what to update for a better understanding of the rules you need to follow to assure that future upgrades will work smoothly.
0 Kudos