cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mystique
Level 5

build warning - ISDEV: warning -6487, how to get rid of that?

I upgraded the InstallShield from 2009 to 1010. Now I got this build warning:
ISDEV : warning -6487: If you intend to distribute this upgrade as a patch, you should author the 'Patch Optimization' settin on the Advanced Settings panel of the Release Wizard.

Where this warning come from? How can I eliminate that?

Thanks for any help on this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

You need to specify the full path to your previous built msi package either from the Advanced Settings panel of the release wizard or in the Build Tab of the release view. This is needed to minimize the size of a future patch and also to insure that dynamic file links are consistent across releases.
0 Kudos

my current build settings will produce a .exe file, instead of .msi. 

I set the value "Compressed" setting on Releases->Build->compression.

In this case how can avoid this warning and how to add upgrade path. 

this setting only accepting the .msi.

0 Kudos
Mystique
Level 5

Thanks for your reply. But my installer is the first of its release. I don't have a previous release msi to point to. Do I need to modify some other settings to get rid of the warning?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Hi,

About the first release:
As you are building the first release, just ignore this warning.
This warning says: "If you intend to distribute this upgrade as a patch...". As there is no previous release this setup could possibly patch, just ignore this warning!

Now about the second release:
Remember to set this parameter when you prepare the next release, if the next released setup is supposed to patch or perform a minor upgrade from the first one.
If your second release can only perform a major upgrade on a machine that has the first one installed, then just ignore this warning.

Regards
0 Kudos
Mystique
Level 5

Thank you for the clarification.
0 Kudos
Japster24
Level 6

Guys, I hope this gets fixed. It's little but this shouldn't be a warning, especially if it's the first build. This should be presented as "information only". I'm trying to remove all the warnings from my installer and I can't get rid of this one, even if it's the first build? C'mon guys, you're smarter than that.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you always want to suppress this warning, you can add it to in \Support\0409\Settings.xml. If you want to modify it for certain projects, you can add a row to the InstallShield table called DisableWarnings with the same comma-separated list.
0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Mystique 

Thanks for your post, we understand you are facing an issue with build warning,

You can refer our KB article, which explain this warning and 

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/ISDEV-warning-6487-If-You-Intend-to-Distribute-this-Upgrade-as-a/ta-p/4286

0 Kudos