cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboFisch
Level 7

banners poorly redrawn on high DPI machines

It appears that Installshield's banners look bad if we use a higher DPI setting.

Is it possible to make installshield DPI aware? (msexec is, so it is unclear why it is a problem)
Is it possible to point it to vector graphics instead?

Thanks,.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
tjohnson1
Technical Writer
Technical Writer

InstallShield 2014 includes DPI scaling
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

IS 2014 doesn't work. banner still looks bad.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

On Windows 7 and lower, the scaling routines used by Windows Installer's built-in UI introduce some really funky side effects when scaling down, but just the typical fuzziness when scaling up. Because of this, we elected to use the 100% DPI backgrounds in Basic MSI projects for now. If you choose to provide your own imagery, you can easily work around this by choosing images that scale better.

The setup.exe bootstrap, as well as InstallScript, InstallScript MSI, and Suite projects were all updated to support High DPI displays in InstallShield 2014.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

I don't have a choice on which images to pick.

Instead of removing the DPI feature, why didn't you just default it to on and allow one turn it off with a Boolean property? It might work for 99% of installshield users.

There are a whole set of images in the basic msi project that one cannot control from within the project. These are tied to the theme, e.g. setup.gif is one example that is shown before the actual installer starts (why is it a .gif?).

Our workaround is the overwrite the file that is in the themes. Seems crazy to have to resort to this.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

Issue seems to be the attribute "stretch to fit" is always set to "true". Installshield's algorithm being used to stretch pictures performs miserably.

I'd like to globally turn off this feature in my projects. At this point, I had to turn off this attribute in existing projects, but I'd like to turn it off by default.

There also seems be no control over the very first dialog, that points to the theme being used. The image here is a .gif, which is completely counter intuitive, since everything else uses .bmp.
0 Kudos