cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manomatt
Level 8

antivirus is blocking the installation

i am using IS2010 and its having one merge module "Microsoft jet DB 3.51(English)" this installation hangs only one machine. For all of the other machines its working fine. The os is win xP sp2, when i tried to disable the mcafee antivirus on that machine that installation is working fine. the hang occurs during the registration of the dlls in the merge module, I was able to get this for the log file. Please suggest some work around such a way that the antivirus does not detect the installation as a potential threat. any help is much appreciated
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Reureu
Level 10

Hi,

We had a similar issue a little while ago. One of our customer could not install our application because Kaspersky Antivirus detected it as a threat.

It took us a while to figure out what was happening, and we finally realized that the Antivirus was the culprit.

There are a few things you can do to avoid that:
- Ask your customer to update their antivirus: some files might be erroneously detected as threat with a certain update. This issue might be fixed in a further update.
- Configure the antivirus to be a little less sensitive.
- Temporarily disable the antivirus during the installation.

We realized that we could not change our setup just for this customer, so we decided to handle this sort of issues through our technical support. Luckily, it hasn't happened too often soo far.
0 Kudos
manomatt
Level 8

hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried some alternate way and seems like its working. What i did was i signed the installer so that the antivirus will recognise it as some genuine program and it got worked. May be someone else could benefit from this.
0 Kudos
vbp0001
Level 4

mano.n.s75 wrote:
hi,

Thanks for your reply. I tried some alternate way and seems like its working. What i did was i signed the installer so that the antivirus will recognise it as some genuine program and it got worked. May be someone else could benefit from this.

What do you mean signed it? How do you do it?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Signing the Setup.exe and adding the corresponding certificate is surely the way to ensure the antivirus won't block it, as some antivirus solutions just disable to execution of any unsigned executable. So you might have to sign all your custom-made executables and some other binary files (like hardware drivers, if your setup installs any).
But some antivirus solutions might detect your executables as false positive despite the signature and certificate. It all depends on the logic of the antivirus. In that case, you will still need to report the case to the antivirus manufacturer.
0 Kudos