cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mariogiambanco
Level 2

adding additional field

I'm really having a hard time finding the right path for this, let alone how to do it.

I want to add an additional field to the installation process, before the program is installed, and take the text in the field and write it to the registry. Its nothing special, just a 32 character API key, but I need it to be in the registry before the service starts.

I have the user guide and I've been searching, but maybe I'm just looking for the wrong thing.

Any ideas?

-Mario
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Sairen
Level 7

(This answer applies to a Basic MSI project. If that isn't what you're using, please clarify and disregard this.)

When you create the text field on your dialog, there's going to be a field on the right that says "Property" - enter what you want there in all caps, such as API_KEY.

If you'd like it to be pre-populated with a default value, go over to your Property Manager view and edit the corresponding entry.

To have it written to the registry, go to your Registry view, create the key where you need it, and wherever you want this API key written, use [API_KEY] (obviously, whatever your property was).

That's about it. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos