cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troycumbo
Level 3

XML File Changes condition

I have a simple XML File Change that creates a small XML file containing a single datum based on the value entered in a text field. That part works wonderfully.

However, on update I have no desire to overwrite or touch that file. So I have a system search that sets a property if the file exists, and the component corresponding to the XML File Change has a condition of Not (that property).

It was my expectation that by assigning a condition to the component corresponding to an XML File Change, if that condition evaluates to false the XML File Change will not be performed, and the dialog with the text field will not be shown. When the search discovers the file, the dialog is not shown, however the XML File Change is performed. This is the case whether I depend on the system search result property, or I put in a statically false condition that will never evaluate to true.

Is this not a correct expectation?

Currently my workaround is just to read that datum back in via an Xml value system search so that the file is written out correctly again, but that's less than optimal. I have other Xml file changes, so restricting the entire CA is not an option. Why does the component condition being false not prevent the XML File Change from occurring? If that is by design, what purpose does having the component serve?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
GrantK
Level 7

Hi Troy,

There are a couple of considerations in regards to your issue.

If you look in the XML File Changes view under the Installation Designer tab (in InstallShield) under the general tab, the XML file change is tied to a feature as well. Try looking at the feature condition to see if this is the cause.

A verbose log file would help to determine what is causing the sml file change to occur.
http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q104807

You may need to have an invisible feature for this XML file change to have its own condition.

A different look. You could use a custom action that if the file exists to copy the file out and then another custom action to copy the file back once install has finished.

Kind Regards,

Grant
Flexera Software Technical Support
0 Kudos