cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brisnick
Level 3

Wrapping an existing installation?

Hi,

I'm new to InstallShield but I think I have simple requirements, but sadly I'm in need of help/advice.

What I need to do is take *existing* installer software and wrap it up so someone only needs to double-click an MSI and it will install.

e.g.

Software that has an MSI that I would execute by using msiexec and passing a few command-line arguments.

How do I wrap that in an MSI that automatically passes those command-line arguments.

i.e.

Microsoft Project silent install I would run by using the command:

msiexec /i prjstde.msi /qn /norestart /l*v install.txt

Can I create an MSI that would execute that command when double-clicked? Can I create an MSI that compresses all the files into one MSI and then executes that command when double-clicked?

Another example would be an install that runs by clicking setup.exe. I would need to create an MSI that simply starts setup.exe (preferably again by compressing all the files within the msi.

Can anyone help, or give me advice on where to read something that would be helpful.

Regards,
Nick
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
chandu_mca06
Level 4

You can create a compressed installer it means all the files including msi file will be compressed in setup.exe. Once you double click on setup.exe it willcall the msi file intrenally and it will execute it.

By doing sop go to IS2010->Releases->setup tab-> set setup type property to "Compressed"
0 Kudos