cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbj
Level 2

Wrapping MSI

I'm working on an installer that will have to wrap/embed an existing .MSI file.
Is this possible with the limited edition or do I need to purchase a license for pro/premium?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You probably will need to purchase Pro or Premier to do this.

You could include your existing msi as a file in your project, then build a compressed setup. This isn't the same as wrapping the msi of course, and I don't think the limited edition would give you the ability to run that msi during the installation of your main msi. This is known as a nested msi and is generally not recommended anyway.

In Pro/Premier there are several ways you could do this. In particular, the suite/advanced UI project type might be of particular interest to you
(http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm#StartTopic=helplibrary/SuiteProjects.htm)

you have the option of converting an msi to an InstallShield project (.ism) file. You can then build a compressed exe from the newly created project. You could also use the Installscript project type to build an installscript wrapper.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
sbj
Level 2

jlynch11 wrote:

you have the option of converting an msi to an InstallShield project (.ism) file. You can then build a compressed exe from the newly created project. You could also use the Installscript project type to build an installscript wrapper.

This requires a Pro/Premium license?
0 Kudos
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

0 Kudos