cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

Word 2007 RTF export is defective

I am building a license dialog with a new .RTF formatted Eula. The lawyers passed on the new text and it had to be converted from Word. I also got a new computer at work with Office 2007 and Word 2007.

Word 2007 export to .RTF creates .RTF files that do not display properly in the MSI License RTF dialog control. The indents of some paragraphs get dropped and the paragraphs are pushed to the left margin, for no apparently reason. Reapplying formatting to the parts of the document don't help the problem.

One ought to have expected that of a new release of Microsoft Word -- that it has backward compatibility bugs.

Does anyone know whether there is a Word 2007 export filter for Office 97 export of RTF files?

Where on Microsoft's web site would they keep those things? No amount of searching shows any export filter add-ons for Windows 2007.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
LanceRas
Level 7

Have you tried opening up the file in Wordpad and then saving it as a different file as RTF?

Possibly Wordpad will clean up some of the extra stuff that is incompatible.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I believe Microsoft routinely upgrades the RTF specification, but the controls used to display RTFs are not updated accordingly. Your best bets are to see if there's another RTF export option that specifies an earlier RTF capability set, or as LanceRas suggests you can run it through WordPad which uses the compatible set.
0 Kudos
Peter_Kosenko
Level 7

Thanks for the responses. It might have occured to me to use Wordpad once I got over my hysteria. As long as all you need is "plain vanilla" RTF, Wordpad RTF features are fine (even color). You can save the document to RTF in Word 2007 and open it in Wordpad to make the necessary edits.

And the file size in Wordpad goes down to about a quarter of the file size of Word 2007.

-- Peter

Peter Kosenko wrote:
I am building a license dialog with a new .RTF formatted Eula. The lawyers passed on the new text and it had to be converted from Word. I also got a new computer at work with Office 2007 and Word 2007.

Word 2007 export to .RTF creates .RTF files that do not display properly in the MSI License RTF dialog control. The indents of some paragraphs get dropped and the paragraphs are pushed to the left margin, for no apparently reason. Reapplying formatting to the parts of the document don't help the problem.

One ought to have expected that of a new release of Microsoft Word -- that it has backward compatibility bugs.

Does anyone know whether there is a Word 2007 export filter for Office 97 export of RTF files?

Where on Microsoft's web site would they keep those things? No amount of searching shows any export filter add-ons for Windows 2007.
0 Kudos
LanceRas
Level 7

Peter,

I found the same thing out some time ago. Wordpad suits nicely for it.

I had to deal with it differently, because I was using notepad and it didn't work right. And that was because I was using NO formatting and it didn't find any RTF stuff. Simply renaming a TXT file to RTF doesn't fly.

I ended up working with a utility that reads my TXT file and RTF's it. It's needed as it's part of a Finalbuilder batch routine.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

You can also try "Save As" from Word and look for an option similar to, "Word 97-2003 & 6.0/95 - RTF (*.doc)" and see if that meets your needs better.
0 Kudos