cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garypaquette
Level 4

Windows 7 / Windows 10 Registry Entry for Paths

Jump to solution

There seems to be a difference on how the registry handles the paths.

Many entries I see double-quotes at the beginning the the end of path strings - like in the run section as an example.

Then the ones I inserted in the registry with installshield do not (win7 / win10) have the d-quotes.

On Win10 it doesn't seem to be an issue - on Win 7 many customers are complaining that the EXE is not launching.  Possibly because of the spaces in the the paths ?

Anybody know what the proper documented process is?  Double-quotes or not?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Solutions
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi @garypaquette,

Double quotes is required in registry values, as that is the Windows suggested ways.

Windows Service: Also in addition to that read this exploits if service path is not defined in quotes:  https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/aaron_margosis/2014/11/14/it-rather-involved-being-on-the-other-side-of-this-airtight-hatchway-unquoted-service-paths/

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Well - I found my own answer 🙂
In the Data I placed the double-quotes in front and at the end and InstallShield did the rest correctly:
Data = "[INSTALLDIR]MyApp.exe"

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi @garypaquette,

Double quotes is required in registry values, as that is the Windows suggested ways.

Windows Service: Also in addition to that read this exploits if service path is not defined in quotes:  https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/aaron_margosis/2014/11/14/it-rather-involved-being-on-the-other-side-of-this-airtight-hatchway-unquoted-service-paths/

Thanks,

This is very helpful.

Why is installshield then not placing the double quotes within the installer.

In the System Configuration -> Registry I have a key name of (example): 

Name = MyApp
Data = [INSTALLDIR]MyApp.exe

How do I force that to have the double-quotes?   Should the installer not handle that? I have InstallShield Pro 2018R2

0 Kudos
Well - I found my own answer 🙂
In the Data I placed the double-quotes in front and at the end and InstallShield did the rest correctly:
Data = "[INSTALLDIR]MyApp.exe"