cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mandomad
Level 2

Will not overwrite some files

Hello
I have a web application and I need to issue an update. I can create the setup or msi but it does not overwrite some files. For example the web.config file will not be updated.
Can anyone tell me what I need to set so the the install will overwrite all files regardless of version, date etc.

Regards
James
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Jeff2008
Level 6

There is a property named "Always overwrite" that can be configured for each file.
0 Kudos
mandomad
Level 2

Thanks for that 🙂
0 Kudos
dhofferber
Level 5

I have set Always Overwrite on some of my files and on an Update or Repair install they are still not getting overwritten. Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Jeff2008
Level 6

Windows Installer checks first the key file of a component to determine if it must install/repair it. So, if the key file does not have to be reinstalled, I believe the others files, even if configured as "always overwrite" won't reinstall. You might want to check for that, see this link for some infos: http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/doc/Helpnet/installshield15helplib/FAQFilesOverwrite.htm
0 Kudos
Jeff2008
Level 6

If this is not the problem, you might want to check the installation log created by Windows Installer. You might find something there.
0 Kudos
dhofferber
Level 5

You are correct. The component is not being reinstalled so the installer doesn't check the file overwrite attribute. Do you know of anyway to force the component to reinstall? This won't be a problem later when I start rolling version numbers but I'd like to force re-installs of my exe while in development.
0 Kudos
Jeff2008
Level 6

Set the "always overwrite" property on the key file of the component. That should do the trick.
0 Kudos
dhofferber
Level 5

How do I do this? I only see Yes or No available for the Never Overwrite attribute for components. The help document suggest an Overwrite attribute but I don't see it. This is a basic MSI install.
0 Kudos
Jeff2008
Level 6

This is not a property for the component, but for the key file of that component. See this link for infos on key file: http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=125425
0 Kudos