cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bluestar8783
Level 5

Why it has wrong string when typing Japanese into String Table?

Dear Sir:

I have a installscript project that has a string table for Japanese,
and I add some strings to show Japanese string. But When I copy
the Japanese string from Excel file into string table, it would show
wrong.

Like string:注意!既にドライバがインストールされています。 ==> it
becomes ?意!既にド?イバがイ?ストー?されています。

There are some garbage like question marks “?”.

Why does it happen this condition?
How to fix this question?
Thanks for your kindly help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sometimes this can be caused by using Japanese characters which are not on the Japanese ANSI Code Page, but I don't think that's the case here. Another approach you can take to get the data into InstallShield would be to use a string table file. Create a text file comprised of the string identifier you want to set, a tab character, and the string you want it to have, and import this in the string table section of the General Information view. If this still results in the question marks, make sure you can save and reload the strings in an ANSI text file using notepad on a Japanese machine to rule out the first problem.
0 Kudos
bluestar8783
Level 5

MichaelU wrote:
Sometimes this can be caused by using Japanese characters which are not on the Japanese ANSI Code Page, but I don't think that's the case here. Another approach you can take to get the data into InstallShield would be to use a string table file. Create a text file comprised of the string identifier you want to set, a tab character, and the string you want it to have, and import this in the string table section of the General Information view. If this still results in the question marks, make sure you can save and reload the strings in an ANSI text file using notepad on a Japanese machine to rule out the first problem.

Dear MichaelU:

Thanks for your information.

I try to exporting String Table from Japanese table, modify text file
and then save it by using Unicode format(it can't save it by using
Ansi format). And then importing this text file into Japanese table.
But it failed, either.(I do this on a Traditional-Chinese machine)

Am I necessary to save text file by using ANSI format? Could not
use Unicode format to importing into Japanese table?

Thanks for your support.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What is the failure when you create the one-string string table file and import it? If it fails to import, the format of the file is probably wrong. If it still results in the string with question marks, it means the unsupported characters are more likely.

You shouldn't have to save the file as ANSI, but doing so lets you verify whether unsupported characters are in the string. If the lack of a Japanese machine is stopping you, perhaps use the App Locale tool from Microsoft to run Notepad in a Japanese locale. Doing that should make the ANSI file it saves use the Japanese code page.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Are you seeing the problem only in the string table of the InstallShield IDE, or the runtime dialogs as well?
0 Kudos