cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
regexmaster
Level 5

Why is our Minor Upgrade overwriting settings in HKCU?

We have a basic MSI project which uses a setup.exe and installs per-machine. There are a few earlier versions of our product that are upgraded by the current setup. The upgrades function just fine, except the users' settings stored in HKCU are overwritten.

As I understand it, I need to set REINSTALLMODE to "voms" to keep this from happening. I must be missing something, because I have tried to do this a number of different ways and my MSI logs show that the property always gets changed back to "vomus".

Would someone please help me understand why this is happening and what I can do to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance
-Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
regexmaster
Level 5

The only post I could find related to this is here.

Unfortunately, I still have not managed to successfully set this property for the case of a minor upgrade.

if I try to set a msi command line item for the release to: REINSTALLMODE=voms then our setup runs in maintenance mode (to change or repair the previous installation) but no upgrade appears to have taken place.

I must be missing something simple, and fundamental, but I'm all out of ideas.
0 Kudos
regexmaster
Level 5

I got it, but I'm not thrilled with how I had to do it.

I added a condition "Not IS_MINOR_UPGRADE" to the RemoveRegistryValues action, which happens to be fine in this case, since the upgrade doesn't need to remove any of the HKLM values.
0 Kudos