cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1Gunn1
Level 4

Why folders won't uninstall and explaining the HKLM\...\Installer\Folders registry

So my Basic MSI project has begun to leave folders around after an uninstall. No files, just empty folders. I can't figure out why. If I install on a fresh OS install clean machine, then my app files get uninstalled perfectly. But on some machines that have been around for awhile, they do not.

The only thing I have been able to discover as a clue is the registry location HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders . There are various string values here, each relating to an individual directory in my installer. Some of the values have the data column filled out with a '1', other values have the data field empty. After uninstall, only string values that have a data column value of '1' remain.

What does this registry key mean and what does the data field of the values indicate? Is there a way to change it through the IDE?

The other clue is that these folders are all part of components where I am using 'dynamic file linking', and including subfolders in that linking.

Why might these directories not be uninstalling?!

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
scottd72
Level 7

Did you ever figure out why folders with Data value = 1 in Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders get left behind after uninstall?
0 Kudos
1Gunn1
Level 4

scottd72 wrote:
Did you ever figure out why folders with Data value = 1 in Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders get left behind after uninstall?

No, I never have. And it still messes up my uninstall, leaving folders behind. The folders it leaves behind are ones where I had chose Dynamic File Linking and checked the 'Include Subfolders' option...

I'm not using Installshield Spring 2012, with same issues.
0 Kudos