cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Why folders won't uninstall and explaining the HKLM\...\Installer\Folders registry

So my Basic MSI project has begun to leave folders around after an uninstall. No files, just empty folders. I can't figure out why. If I install on a fresh OS install clean machine, then my app files get uninstalled perfectly. But on some machines that have been around for awhile, they do not.

The only thing I have been able to discover as a clue is the registry location HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders . There are various string values here, each relating to an individual directory in my installer. Some of the values have the data column filled out with a '1', other values have the data field empty. After uninstall, only string values that have a data column value of '1' remain.

What does this registry key mean and what does the data field of the values indicate? Is there a way to change it through the IDE?

The other clue is that these folders are all part of components where I am using 'dynamic file linking', and including subfolders in that linking.

Why might these directories not be uninstalling?!

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Re: Why folders won't uninstall and explaining the HKLM\...\Installer\Folders registry

Did you ever figure out why folders with Data value = 1 in Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders get left behind after uninstall?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Re: Why folders won't uninstall and explaining the HKLM\...\Installer\Folders registry

scottd72 wrote:
Did you ever figure out why folders with Data value = 1 in Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders get left behind after uninstall?

No, I never have. And it still messes up my uninstall, leaving folders behind. The folders it leaves behind are ones where I had chose Dynamic File Linking and checked the 'Include Subfolders' option...

I'm not using Installshield Spring 2012, with same issues.
0 Kudos