cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ken_tola
Level 3

Why Is This So Hard?

I need a SIMPLE installer to install a Windows Service on a server I control. When I try to build this new LE project, I keep being told that the DVD path is too long and to change it. First I JUST WANT AN MSI FILE - even an EXE is fine. Yet there does not appear to be ANY way to not build the DVD.

Second, it looks as if the ISProductFolder controls the build paths but, again, there does not appear to be a way to change this path.

Can somebody Please Help? I used to build installers in 5 minutes in VS 2010 - it has now been 2 hours and I am completely stuck.
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You have to use the configuration manager ( solution explorer ) to map the build to the output type you want to generate.
0 Kudos
ken_tola
Level 3

I have looked in every option in the Solution Explorer but I just do not see this configuration management option - where is it?
0 Kudos
ken_tola
Level 3

I went into the Project Assistant, on the Application Information tab and clicked the "Edit the default installation location" link. I changed that to a simple folder which then placed everything inside of DISK1/ and everything built without issues.

I then installed everything with no issues on the Windows 2012 server I am using and the install did place everything in the correct folder. That stated, it installed an application and NOT a Windows Service. I was never asked for a username/password and there is no Windows Service entry in the Services tab on the server.

Is there some other setting I need to use here?
0 Kudos
debug
Level 3

you could use the Deplay option.

Ralf
0 Kudos