cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gubbsinc
Level 3

Where is Prerequisite Editor???

I'm using InstallShield 2014 with Visual Studio 2010. I need to configure a prerequisite (Visual Basic PowerPacks) in the installer. All websites and the InstallShield Help instruct, "On the Tools menu, click Prerequisite Editor." I'm in Visual Studio with the attached InstallShield project. There is no 'Prerequisite Editor' in the Tools menu. What am I doing wrong?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Which edition of InstallShield are you using? The Prerequisite Editor is available in the Premier and Professional editions of InstallShield. It is not available in the Express or Limited editions of InstallShield.

Another way to launch the Prerequisite Editor if you are using the Premier or Professional edition is to use the InstallShield Prerequisite Editor shortcut that gets installed when you install these editions.
0 Kudos
gubbsinc
Level 3

Sorry, I have InstallShield 2014 Professional. I'm running VS2010, Windows 7 SP1 64bit.

There are no InstallShield shortcuts on my desktop, and there is no shortcut for InstallShield Prerequisite Editor in the Windows Start - All Programs - InstallShield - InstallShield2014 Tool menu (see .png I uploaded).

Thanx for your help!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

You can launch it manually by browsing to it and double-clicking it:
InstallShield Program Files Folder\Support\PrereqEditor.exe

As an alternative, in the Redistributables view, you can right-click a prerequisite and then click Edit Prerequisite. That will open that particular .prq in the Prerequisite Editor.
0 Kudos
gubbsinc
Level 3

OK, I thought I figured it out, but now I'm stuck again. Here's what happened:

1. Since I don't have any shortcuts, I re-installed (repair)
2. After the re-install finished, an InstallShield application (all by itself, not inside Visual Studio) popped up by itself
- This application had the Tools - InstallShield Prerequisite Editor
- I thought to myself, "This is where I need to be"
3. I closed the application (InstallShield I presume), then tried to open it again using shortcuts in Windows - Start - All Programs menu
4. These shortcuts open InstallShield inside Visual Studio; which has VS-Tools, not InstallShield tools
5. So now I'm trying to open just InstallShield and I can't
- I dug in C:\Program Files (x86)\..., but there's a ton of .exe's in there.

Can someone tell me the path to the executable that opens InstallShield by itself? Also, if some one could shed some light on why I don't have the shortcuts described by DebbieL, that would be great.

Thanx!
0 Kudos
gubbsinc
Level 3

Hi DebbieL,

You stated, "...As an alternative, in the Redistributables view, you can right-click a prerequisite and then click Edit Prerequisite. That will open that particular .prq in the Prerequisite Editor...." I did that, but the prerequisite I need (Visual Basic PowerPacks) insn't listed. Hence my need to create the prerequisite.

Thanx!
0 Kudos
gubbsinc
Level 3

Hi DebbieL,

"...InstallShield Program Files Folder\Support\PrereqEditor.exe..." Thanx, I found that.

Can you tell me the path of the InstallShield executable itself?

Thanx!
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The InstallShield executable file is here:
InstallShield Program Files Folder\System\isdev.exe
0 Kudos
gubbsinc
Level 3

Thanx DebbieL!
0 Kudos
GrantK