cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgray
Level 3

Where does Install Shield get the User Information?

After running install shield, On the last page before I click Install, there is section labelled User Information.

Where does the wizard get this information?

Thanks,
Jeff
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
weakness
Level 6

Generally, Installer retrieves the system information from the below registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
0 Kudos
jgray
Level 3

OK,
I thought I had added my research to the original post but it was in another forum.
At the moment I understand that this information is grabbed from the Registry.

I have a 64 bit 7 OS so the place in the reg where this is stored is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion.

I have changed the the RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner from Microsoft to mine.

I then closed VS2010 and reopened, created a new project starting from scratch.
Even after doing so the username and organization still defaults to Microsoft/Microsoft.
I even tried rebooting knowing that my registry changes did not need this but still nothing.

Q: Is it possible that InstallShield read the registry and then stored this value in another key and has since been using it.

Q: When others run my setup will this affect them or just show up on my system?

If the latter then I could live with my system being incorrect.
0 Kudos
weakness
Level 6

Do you mean InstallShield's information [Help]-[Version Information] from Tool bar?

If so, try to fix the following registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{6FD6E369-45A1-4114-818F-4AD179916DB9}
RegCompany
RegOwner
0 Kudos
jgray
Level 3

So I assume what happened was when I Installed Install Shield 2011 it read from CurrentVersion for Windows NT which (was at the time) Microsoft/Microsoft. (and is now changed for the future) and then set their own key in the uninstall folder.

For me it was saved here:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{38D39130-2440-40BE-BD88-0B581AA090C8}

Once you got me on the right path, I just looked for the key that InstallShield made and voila!

I appreciate the help weakness.

Take care.
0 Kudos