cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamlet
Level 5

Where can I find(and change) the definition of IDS_IFX_...

As the title.

There are a lot of such strings named IDS_IFX_...
But a cannot find any information about that in help file.
😞

Anothor question,

In Basic MSI project, there are so-called "conditions" which is used to control whether or not the Custom Action is to be excuted, such as Installed, IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE(may be wrong spelled), and so on.

where can I find the reference of these conditions?

It seems the help file is of little help...

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Streamlet
Level 5

Up up up up up~
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

All strings prefixed with the name IDS_IFX are typically stored in the InstallScript resource files included in the build output of InstallScript, InstallScript MSI, and Basic MSI projects that use InstallScript custom actions (note that the files are not readily visible as they are streamed into ISSetup.dll for MSI projects or included as build time support files for InstallScript projects). Since the strings are not necessarily intended to be changed, they are undocumented. You can typically add your own strings to the string table in a project and load them in script code with the syntax @IDS_STRING_ID. Once the string is loaded, it can be used for any purpose, including changing dialog/control text with CtrlSetText. (Also note there are a number of script variables prefixed with the name IFX_ that can be used to control certain aspects of InstallScript driven setups.)

Note there is no reference for specific conditional statements. Conditional statements can reference properties are other information maintained at runtime by Windows Installer. Reference for valid conditional statement syntax is documented in the MSDN article Conditional Statement Syntax (some examples are provided in a related link). Property reference is available in the InstallShield help topic Windows Installer Property Reference and on MSDN in Property Reference.
0 Kudos
Streamlet
Level 5

Thanks.

The second question is OK. I have found it in MSDN.

For the first question, will you/Acresso public them at a certain time?
Yes, We can add our own string. But when We make multi-language installers, any custom string will need to be translated. Well, instead of add my own string, maybe there is such a internal string that can satisfy my needs.

Another case, in InstallScript project, when user clicks new version of setup.exe, the installer will do upgrade. The welcome dialog will show the string IDS_IFX_SDWELCOMMESSAGE_UPDATE_WELCOME, whick looks like "You have installed XXX(1.00.001), do you want to upgrade to new version 1.0.2.0?". Note the string of old version and new version. In the project, as our version policy, we specified version as 1.0.1.0, 1.0.2.0. But IS has its own version format 1.00.001, 1.00.002. On welcome dialog, the old version is displayed in IS internal format , while the new version is the very string I specified. I would like to replace 1.00.001 to 1.0.1.0. However, I don't know the ID of version string, neither the internal formatted one(1.00.001) nor the display version string(1.0.1.0). In MSI project, it will not display IDS_IFX_SDWELCOMMESSAGE_UPDATE_WELCOME, but popup a message box saying "Do you want to perform an upgrage of PRODUCT_NAME?", not relating any version information. I think I'd like to remove welcome dialog and add such a message box in my project. It's a pity I don't know the ID of that string too.

Since the internal string cannot alway satified our needs, and we sometimes need to know these strings, will Acresso consider giving a document about them?

Besides, as there are a lot of project types in IS, which type is recommend by Acresso? Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, or InstallScript(non-MSI) ?

Thank you!
0 Kudos