cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaschaK
Level 2

What means .ism?

Hello 🙂

it is a simple question but i do not find an answer. I know that an ism-file is an InstallShield project file. Can somebody tell me how ism is written out? Or does it only means ism = installshield (project file)?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

I don't think the letters "ism" mean anything; it's just "msi" (the Windows Installer package extension) spelled backward, and the initial "I" suggests "InstallShield"...
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

RobertDickau wrote:
I don't think the letters "ism" mean anything; it's just "msi" (the Windows Installer package extension) spelled backward, and the initial "I" suggests "InstallShield"...

🙂 I used to tell people that it stood for InstallShield MSI project, but then the same file extension is also used for InstallScript projects, so there went that theory.
0 Kudos
retzcat
Level 6

ism is the extention for Installshield -as in the file that controls that particular Installshield project . Other than that – it’s a suffix that denotes a distinctive system of beliefs, myth, doctrine or theory that guides a social movement, institution, class or group.
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

This last point has been a source of bad jokes: see for example the help topics "ISWiProductConfigs Collection" and "ISWiRelease Object"...
0 Kudos