cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flotek72
Level 3

What happens behind the scenes when clicking Repair button in Add/Remove Programs?

When I click on the Repair button in Add/Remove Programs to repair a program, it fails. The reason being is that I am not running as Administrator and something during the repair process needs elevation. That brings me to the conclusion that I should run repair as elevated. The only problem with this is that I don't know what command is being called when I click the Repair button. Also, I don't know where the command is located that is being called. I know where UninstallString and ModifyPath are in the registry, but of course there is no RepairString. Any ideas as to where that Repair button is getting the command to call?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Assuming you are installing and repairing a .msi, you cannot change this command anyway. You're better off figuring out why elevation is required; for instance do you have a custom action that needs to be deferred in system context (so it can have elevated privileges) but is not? Fix that, and you won't have to change the behavior of the repair button.
0 Kudos