cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emitchell
Level 2

What do I have to do about scrrun.dll

I am using Visual Studio 2012 with a solution that was created years ago with one of the previous versions of VS. I have to add Install Shied Limited Edition in order to create my .msi file. So I went though the motions of creating a new project, going to "Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment->InstallShield Limited Edition Project" that lead me to download and executable with I ran and installed something from this downloaded file. I don't remember the name but in my Downloads folder there's a file InstallShield2013LimitedEdition.exe with a date and time of 2:00pm this afternoon.

I closed VS and reopened it but there's no sign of my new project. So I go through the motions of loading ISLE but now a window pops up headed "InstallShield" but with the message:

An error ocurred loading scrrun.dll. Check to see that this file exists in
the Windows System folder and that the file is properly registered.

I don't know what to do now. The instructions say to just create the new project. Can anyone help?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jcoone
Level 6

scrrun.dll is not part of Installshield, but is probably used by it.

problems can arise with this DLL when an installation does not complete correctly. your best bet is to try uninstalling ISLE reboot the machine and then try the install again. Make sure to run the install with admin rights.
0 Kudos
emitchell
Level 2

How do I uninstall it?. My instructions only go as far as to New Project->Other Project Types->Setup and Deployment->InstallShield Limited Edtion Project.

There's no mechanism for uninstall. The project that I had created (that presumably referred to scrrun.dll is listed in the VS list of projects. Just my Setup program that has been there for many years until this change in VS2012 broke it 😞

Under Programs and Features, there's no mention of InstallShield that I can see, where the usual programs can be uninstalled.
0 Kudos
jcoone
Level 6

there should be an entry in the "Programs and Features" section of the control panel for windows with the option to uninstall, change or repair. The entry should be listed as "Installshield 2013 Limited Edition" if it is not there, then you may need to re-run the installer for Installshield because the installation did not actually complete.
0 Kudos