cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterbi
Level 7

Weired install error!

Hi,

I converted an old IS6.3 project to IS2009 InstallScript type.

In the project, there is a server/workstation setype, it is done through mapped drive. A mapped drive (eg. M:) is created and shared on server system, then the product is installed to M: on the system. The server install also installed a subfolder called "WorkStation Setup", which contains another installer with some supporting files (they were built separately from another installer, and copied to a source location for the main installer to pick up), it's simple - it just executes some IS code and points to some server file locations.

On the workstation system, I also need to map M: from that system to the shared server M:, and navigate to the installed "WorkStation Setup" folder and launch the setup.exe.

Here is the problem, when I tried the workstation install, I got the error box with the following text:
===================
>SetupNew\setup.cpp(140)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$15.0.0.498
@Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (2195)
IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106

The WEIRED thing is that if I copy the separately built workstation build to the installed "WorkStation Setup" folder (i.e. to replace the copy installed by the main installer), then it worked when I tried to launch the workstation installer from workstation system.

I am lost and really don't know what's happening here. The error box showed up at the very beginning of workstation setup.

BTW, the server install is fine.

What/where should I look for it?

Thanks,
Peter
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The error you are seeing occurs when the _setup.dll file located in the same location as the setup.exe being run cannot be copied to the temp folder. This could be because the source file doesn't exist, the setup doesn't have permissions to read the file, or other possible reasons. You can use the ProcessMon utility from www.sysinternals.com to monitor file system activity while this failure occurs to try isolating the possible cause.
0 Kudos
peterbi
Level 7

Josh,

You are right, that's the reason! I found the difference between the installed copy and my local copy.

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
pje1891
Level 2

i have download 1 game client from Taiwan website and when i try to install it i got the same error message. so, i wonder is they any way i can install this game client since i am frm outside taiwan??...ty
0 Kudos