cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streamlet
Level 5

WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL not specified in Arabic UI

hi,

I found that in Arabic OS, the first page(initializing page) is specified with both WS_EX_RTLREADING and WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL.

However, the other pages does not. They are only WS_EX_RTLREADING but not WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL. The Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons are on the top-right, the progress bars go from left to right, ...

(My project type is Basic MSI)
Is this a problem of IS? or where can I set the option to let them WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL?
Or, could anyone tell me in which executable file it check the language and set WS_EX_RTLREADING (so that I might be able to add WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL to fix the issue at binary level)?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

It is a limitation of Windows Installer dialogs. They do not support the style WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL. InstallShield manually mirrors those dialogs for the RTL languages.

Note that the dialogs that are launched by the Setup.exe bootstrapper such as the setup initialization dialog are Windows dialogs which support the style WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
Streamlet
Level 5

hidenori wrote:
It is a limitation of Windows Installer dialogs. They do not support the style WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL. InstallShield manually mirrors those dialogs for the RTL languages.

Note that the dialogs that are launched by the Setup.exe bootstrapper such as the setup initialization dialog are Windows dialogs which support the style WS_EX_LAYOUTRTL.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for reply.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay so let me get this straight.

Windows Installer dialogs does not support the Right to Left languages and therefore nothing can be done about these dialogs in Arabic/Hebrew languages, but if InstallShield mirrors the dialog boxes then should it not correctly display under those languages if running under the Setup bootstrapper?

I had this bug reported to me and therefore I have to report back if this is a limitation that is not currently supported or that I can change something to at least get it to work if running from the Setup.exe file.

So if it is not currently supported then could you verify?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Windows Installer dialogs are managed by the Windows Installer engine, not the Setup.exe bootstrapper. In order to mirror this type of dialogs, InstallShield changes XPos of their dialog controls when building into MSIs. Since InstallShield has no control over the x button on the top right, there is nothing we can do about it.

Regards.
0 Kudos
princy
Level 2

I am using Installshield 2015 and supporting localization for the setup. For Arabic/Hebrew, the Right-Aligned property of Dialog is not working and Close/Maximize/minimize button are still on right side and Dialog caption on the left side of AdminWelcome dialog. '
Is this a limitation of Installsheild MSI?
Somebody please help to resolve this issue.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

It's a limitation of Windows Installer dialogs. Since it's controlled by Microsoft, there is not much we can do. You may want to consider using an InstallScript project to get workaround.
0 Kudos