cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c_benner
Level 3

Visual Studio 2022 integration?

Hey there,

today I've installed the latest InstallShield 2021 build but there's no Visual Studio 2022 integration?

Is there anything I'm missing or am I doing wrong?

TIA

Chris

Labels (1)
(19) Replies
tomdavey3
Level 2

Same situation!

dave2_1296
Level 3

Same - just opened a support case.

shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Visual Studio 2022 Integration is not yet supported in InstallShield. Compared to previous releases of Visual Studio, this integration is slightly challenging due to the fact that Visual Studio 2022 runs in only 64 bit mode. We are actively working on this and currently planning on supporting in the next major version of InstallShield next year (Q2 '22). We will keep you posted on the progress we are making. While this may not be the response you may be expecting, we would like to be transparent with you on the priorities and progress.
0 Kudos

I am very sad when read these information. Visual Studio 2019 even has not link for downloading.

0 Kudos

Well that is extremely disappointing.  I had expected the release schedule of a major (and fairly expensive) product like InstallShield to keep pace with Visual Studio releases.  Not sure I can wait more than half a year for VS2022 support...  The only silver lining is at least I found out before renewing my annual support contract.

To late for me - have had renewed a week ago.

For us it means - no automated updates anymore and a complete rework of our rollout process.

Lesson learned and in fact-> For the simple packaging we're using WIX in future and the rollout processes getting redesigned so that we're not dependent from companies they don't use over a year of time to renew their own software.

Our Extensions for Visual Studio 2022 are working since September this year (by the way). So it was possible (easy) to have tools 64Bit ready. Microsoft announced their plans for Visual Studio 2022 in 2019 (!).

Any updates on a release schedule for IS with VS2022 support?

0 Kudos

Hello,  Just following up on this issue.  Is there an ETA for InstallShield support for Visual Studio 2022?    We are currently using InstallShield 2020 R3 Sp1 Express Edition with Visual Studio 2019.

0 Kudos
c_benner
Level 3

I plan to revoke my maintainance support plan (renewed this week) due to useless. I can't use IS2021 'til 2Q/22 and therefore I also can't use the support. No product - no support.

I'm really upset with that!

0 Kudos
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator

Hi @jacob2,

Thank you for your post.

Visual Studio 2022 integration will be supported in phases:

• InstallShield 2022 R1 will include support for upgrading and building existing InstallShield projects in Visual Studio 2022, via UI and MSBuild. Support for creating new projects wouldn't be supported in 2022 R1.
  • InstallShield 2022 R2 will include support for creating new IS projects (except InstallScript) from within Visual Studio 2022.
  • Support for creating InstallScript projects will be added in 2023.
** Payload and dates are subject to change.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!
0 Kudos

Do we have release dates for the above?

Until Visual Studio integration is available, is there an alternative way to create a deployment package?  Maybe a standalone tool?  Our company has InstallShield Professional if that makes a difference in what you suggest.

0 Kudos

• InstallShield 2022 R1 will include support for upgrading and building existing InstallShield projects in Visual Studio 2022, via UI and MSBuild. Support for creating new projects wouldn't be supported in 2022 R1.

The organization I work for recently purchased an InstallShield 2022 R1 license (Premiere)  for over $7,000. I can confirm that while this version does allow you to build existing InstallShield projects within Visual Studio 2022, you cannot edit the installer project in anyway. This includes not even updating the version number of the MSI nor adding/removing of files through Visual Studio 2022. 

It is also worth noting that if your InstallShield project has multiple "Release" configurations that you cannot change the InstallShield "Default Configuration" of the release from within Visual Studio 2022. This particular setting is also not something that can be set if you decide to use the InstallShield 2022 R1 Application GUI either since that setting is in the .isproj and not the .ism

It is also worth noting that if you rely on a combination (or have multiple) Visual Studio build configurations that expect to be paired with different InstallShield 'Releases' configurations then you may have to hand-edit the InstallShield project files or Visual Studio solution files in order to build the different 'Releases' of the installer depending on how your continuous integration is set up. If you only have one InstallShield 'Releases' configuration, then you might not have this problem as it will incidentally be the 'Default Configuration' every time. 

I am laying all this out in case it helps anyone going forward when deciding whether to take the plunge on purchasing InstallShield 2022 R1.

Hi @James_Ruiz_MGS,

Thank you for your post.

Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.

We had to take a phased approach to Visual Studio 2022 integration. Phase-1 of which is delivered in 2022 R1 which has the capability to build existing projects using IDE and MSBuild. The next phase will cover all the features you requested – creating and opening InstallShield projects from within Visual Studio (all except InstallScript projects).

0 Kudos
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator

Hi @dave2_1296,

Thank you for your post.

If I've correctly determined that you are based out of New Jersey, please contact your Account Manager, Andy Evert, to request more details.

Here is his contact information:

(847) 466-4225
aevert@revenera.com

0 Kudos
nick_brown
Level 3

I have just installed IS2022 R1 beside VS2022 on Windows 11 but I had a VS2019 also installed and it integrated with that just fine. I have uninstalled VS2019 and run TSConfig.exe /repairvsip and got the popup to say it has run o.k. but now get a load failed Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004004 (E_ABORT) instead of incompatable. In there I did open the projects in IS2022 running as admin and they upgraded them to 2022 from 2019.

If I do a TSConfig.exe /info it tells me about an old Trial activation before my current one, could that give me this issue and how do I clear that out?

0 Kudos

Ahhhh, I maybe missing something from VS2020...

0 Kudos
nick_brown
Level 3

I have added every extension in the place related to MSBuild and VS2022 will still not open the IS projects, also adding a path to MSBuild in the enviroment settings.

0 Kudos

Sorry I needed it spelled out to me, I need to wait for IS 2022 R2....

0 Kudos