cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shekhar_shashi
Level 3

Visual Studio 2012 Setup Files using InstallSheild LE

I migrated a .net 4.0 windows service application from Visual Studio 2010 to 2012 last week. When I tried to create a set up project, I learnt that the standards setup projects are no longer supported by Microsoft. So I used the InstallShield LE setup project. After playing with the tool for a few minutes, I was able to create a setup file and install the windows service. But the output folder of the project includes a bunch of files (application's exe and config files, set.ini and setup.exe ) . Is there a way to configure the setup project to generate just one msi file? In Visual Studio 2010, I could generate an msi file from a setup project and distribute just that one file to install the application anywhere. Its seems like I need to distribute a bunch of files for installation. Is there a way to create an installation package comprising of just one msi file without upgrading to the fully paid version of InstallSheild?

I have played with this tool for a few minutes and so I do not claim to be an expert in the InstallSheild product by any means. If generating an msi file is not possible, it seems like Microsoft took away a feature that existed before, something very unfortunate.

Thanks in advance for your help.
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi Shekhar,

1> In Visual Studio, go to the Build menu.
2> Select Configuration Manager.
3> Change Configuration from DVD-5 or CD_ROM to SingleImage for your Setup project.
4> Build setup project.

Or,

Go to step 6 and drill down to the Single Image release type. Set Compression on the build tab to yes and set setup launcher on the setup.exe tab to no. Build this release.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos
shekhar_shashi
Level 3

Thanks Chaitra. Great explanation. This is exactly what I wanted.
0 Kudos