cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
langdeng
Level 3

Visual C++ 8.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM seems not work

My app uses Visual C++ 2005 runtime. But if I use the merge module included in InstallShield 2010 Express, the app cannot run. If I directly install the Visual C++ 2005 runtime distribution package from Microsoft. My app run ok. Is it a bug in InstallShield's Merge Module or I did something wrong? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
SushiMOO
Level 2

Possibly a bit late on the reply, but I love how much Flexera want to support their products with this issue and how we're left to try to work out what the problem is ourselves.

This applies to both VS2008 and VS2005 Sp1 with the ATL Fix. What I suggest is this:

• Backup C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules.
  • Backup C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Modules\i386
  • Install VS2008 SP1 and VS2005 SP1 (where appropriate).
  • Examine the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules directory and the VC90 and VC80 merge modules (the ones with VC80 and VC90 in their name) should be dated the 12/07/2009.
  • Copy the contents of the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules into the C:\Program Files\Installshield\2010\Modules\i386 directory (overwriting the ones in their currently)
  • Now when you look at your redistributables in a given install project, your MFC 8.0 ones should have the version 8.0.50727.4053 and the VC2008 ones will still be 9.0.

What no one will tell you is that there are the two directories and the one located in the Installshield directory seems to hold precedence over the common files one. If you find that your merge modules didn't get updated, delete them and try the service pack again (that's why I made sure you backed them up at the start).

Good luck !
0 Kudos
markjack99
Level 2

Just recently had the same issue - thought I'd post my findings.

Using InstallShield 7, I was selecting the CRT, MFC, and MFCLOC merge modules - things weren't working.

Discovered I also needed to select the three POLICY merge modules for these. Now everything works fine.
0 Kudos