cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spiderlily
Active participant

Re: Visual C++ 2019 x64 Prerequisite fails when Visual C++ 2017 x64 is installed

Jump to solution

Thanks, @gogogroundhog.  This workaround may help some people.   In my case, I'm not sure our users will want to reboot in the middle of the installation, and again at the end. 

I'd rather Microsoft accept responsibility for the problem and fix it, or have InstallShield make some change to accommodate whatever unexpected return value the VC++ 2019 redist installer is sending.  I was dismayed that Microsoft closed the issue, and I don't know how I can get the attention of InstallShield developers to see if they can provide a fix on the IS side.

0 Kudos
Flexera Varaprasad
Flexera

Re: Visual C++ 2019 x64 Prerequisite fails when Visual C++ 2017 x64 is installed

Jump to solution

If you would like to handle reboot at the end of the main installation then you can choose either of the below options from the prerequisite behavior tab

• Note it, fail to resume if the machine is rebooted, and reboot after the installation
  • Ignore it, and fail to resume if machine is rebooted

Below link has more details.

https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield23helplib/helplibrary/UIRefPrereqEditor_Behavior.ht...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
spiderlily
Active participant

Jump to solution

Thank you, @Varaprasad.  The prerequisite is set for /install /quiet /norestart.  The Behavior is set to "Exit and resume on reboot" if the prerequisite appears to need a reboot.   I include the SdFinishReboot dialog in OnFirstUIAfter(), so that the user will be prompted to reboot after all of the prerequisites and my software are installed.  However, the problem is that the VC++ 2019 prerequisite crashes the rest of the installer.   Are you saying that those settings will prevent it from crashing, and it will continue to the end of the installation?

0 Kudos
Flexera Varaprasad
Flexera

Jump to solution

Yes, those settings suppose to skip reboot flow and allow main installation to continue. Could you please try and let me know if it works for you?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
spiderlily
Active participant

Jump to solution

It looks like your suggested setting prevents the problem.  I still don't understand why the VC++ doesn't prompt for a reboot when you run it outside of InstallShield, but it does when it's run inside InstallShield as a prerequisite?   

I will mark your solution as the fix, but I will wait a little bit, in case you have any ideas why VC++ behaves differently, and how to know in the future that a prerequisite requires a reboot if the external installer doesn't request it when run by itself.

0 Kudos
Thesorus
Flexera beginner

Jump to solution

@spiderlily 

Hi, 

Can you share the PRQ that you are using for the VC++ 2015-2019 prerequisite that you are using ? 

I'm not certain I do it properly on my side.

Thanks.

Max.

0 Kudos
spiderlily
Active participant

Jump to solution

Apparently I cannot.  When I try to attach, I get "The file type (.prq) is not supported. Valid file types are: 7z, aacx, bat, bin, config, csv, dat, dl, dll, docx, eml, gif, gz, iap_xml, ini, irp, ism, issuite, jpg, lax, lic, log, mp4, msi, mst, ndi, opt, pdf, png, ppt, pptx, properties, ps1, request, response, return, rl, rul, sh, sln, tar, tar.gz, txt, vbs, xlsx, xml, zip, sql, rdp, xls, msg."

0 Kudos
Thesorus
Flexera beginner

Jump to solution

well, that's awkward. :) 

Maybe you could copy and paste the PRQ text here (remove anything that is sensitive) ? 

Max.

0 Kudos
spiderlily
Active participant

Jump to solution

I pasted the prerequisite settings as images into the attached Word document.  I hope that helps.  There's nothing sensitive, or even specific to my software, in this.

0 Kudos
spiderlily
Active participant

Jump to solution
I also circled the setting in green that is the solution for the original problem in this post.
0 Kudos