cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sodandk
Level 2

Vista question

We install an exe file, which later downloads other files and even overwrites itself. On Vista the exe file can not save any files to our install dir, if it is not run as 'administrator'. How to make sure it runs as administrator ? or is there another way of doing it the 'correct' way ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Mike_Marino
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You need to add a Manifest to your EXE file, see

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/UAC/default.aspx

Look for Level=”requireAdministrator”

If you need more details let me know.
0 Kudos
sodandk
Level 2

thanx for the reply. I added the manifest stuff and now it works.

Have a question more... trying to figure out the 'right way' to use the installer... here goes...

we have an app... an online game, that needs to update now and then. we have our own update system and that works fine, also now on vista with the admin manifest inside the app.

The normal user downloads the game, as an installshield-installer and non-vista OS'es installs just fine, but Vista requires admin password to install ?
Is that ok. Usually we would just like to have the installer work on any machine, any vista, but that seems not to be the case.
What is the correct setting (in installshield2008) for
Media->Release->SingleImage->SetUp.exe (Invoker/Highest available/Administrator).
Ofcourse we want the most users to install it with no hassle.

Please advice.
thanx.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you are being prompted for a password this would indicate that the installation was launched with a user that is not a part of the administrators group (i.e. a standard user) and the requested execution level was set to require administrator. This being the case, it would be expected to be prompted for an admin password since the setup indicates it requires administrator access to the machine.

You could change this to invoker or highest available, but if your installation attempts to write to any per-machine location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the registry, Program Files on the file system, etc.) the setup will have insufficient privileges and will fail when run as a standard user or as an administrator with the execution level set to invoker.
0 Kudos