cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brianthegood
Level 6

Vista certified - Installscript ????

So here it is, very close to shipping and the PM has asked me if we can have the installer Vista certified. It's in Installscript.

Am I doomed? Do I have to 'port' this to an Installscript for MSI project? Other type? What is the learning curve?

I have been writing Installscript projects forever and wondering how difficult it is, if necessary, to port this to another project type?

I'm really trying to be optimistic here.....:)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Gvarma
Level 7

brianthegood wrote:
So here it is, very close to shipping and the PM has asked me if we can have the installer Vista certified. It's in Installscript.

Am I doomed? Do I have to 'port' this to an Installscript for MSI project? Other type? What is the learning curve?

I have been writing Installscript projects forever and wondering how difficult it is, if necessary, to port this to another project type?

I'm really trying to be optimistic here.....:)

You should be able to port the project to Installscript/MSI. Though If I was in your situation, i would just create a digital certificate and using Microsoft Signtool, sign each binaries (its little cumbersome but does the job) then rebuild the installation part, installshield does nothing but puts the digital signature discreatly for each binary to make it Vista compliant to get around UAC.

HTH
0 Kudos
brianthegood
Level 6

Installscript projects allow you to attach a digital certificate so that is not a good enough reason to go to an Installscript/.msi project. The only justification for me is to get Vista certification.

What I discovered right away about .msi projects is that the Installscript aspect does not recognize OnUpdateUIBefore and OnUpdateUIAfter events. I guess that event is accomplished by the upgrade settings of the project and the version number of the product.

Am I close?
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

I think you need to meet more requirements. Here is the official document from Microsoft: http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/e/4/8e4c929d-679a-4238-8c21-2dcc8ed1f35c/Windows%20Vista%20Software%20Logo%20Spec%201.1.doc
0 Kudos
brianthegood
Level 6

What I was after was a more meaningful discussion as to the differences and crossover effort between an Installscript only project and Installscript/MSI project.

The difference tha I noted previously was only one observation and I was hoping to get some insight as to what else I should be mindful of.
0 Kudos