Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Balaji_Vinu
Level 5

Virtual directory creation.

Hi Folks,

I am using Basic MSI p/j (IS 2009).

I need to pass the loacl path (Virtual directory Structure) and the application name to the project through command line argument .

I am able to do it through Internet Information Service option. But i need this values to be read from INI file and pass the values to project through Command Line argument.

Is there any way to do or suggestion to do it.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

There is if you were able to use Install Shield Script. If you have to use windows installer, you could change your project type to use both windows installer and install shield script.

Anyway, here is a link to a post I made that should show you how to use functions I created using install shield script.

If you can't use Install Shield script, you might want to translate the functions using visual basic. See if you can call your VB functions from windows installer.

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos
Balaji_Vinu
Level 5

Thanks for the code Snippet, I need to pass the VirtualDirectory path and Name of the virtual directory through command line, I have already created a setup through Internet Information Services as my project is a Basic MSI.

My aim is to pass the arguments through Command line.
0 Kudos
Balaji_Vinu
Level 5

Hi ,
I have got an XMl in the below format which would be inserted in end user system. I have to read the XML and create a vir directory according to the XML.

Please let me know what needs to be done to achieve it.

0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Try using a system search, as described in the following help topic:
Searching for XML Data

Then take the property that you create through that system search, and use it in the Internet Information Services view. For example, if your system search retrieves the virtual directory name, the name of your property might be VDIRNAME. In the IIS view, you'll enter that property name in square brackets for the virtual directory name field: [VDIRNAME]

At run time, the property is replaced with the value from your XML file.
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

Well, if you need to search through an XML file, here is what I use to search and modify a web.config file which is XML encoded. Check this link out...

Oh, did I mention that it is done in Install Shield script???
0 Kudos