cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shark75
Level 4

Virtual Directory not created IIS6

I've been trying to convert one of our existing projects from IS12 to IS2010, but have got stuck with getting the IIS virtual directories to install properly on both IIS 7 and IIS 6. Strangely I've got everything working on IIS 7, but I can not find any way using the built in IIS components of InstallShield to install the virtual directory correctly on IIS 6. This all used to work fine when the project was in IS12.

I have a simple web application called "iManager" that sits under the default web site. So in IS12 I had the following in the IIS components in the IS project...
Web Sites
Default Web Site
iManager

iManager being a Virtual Directory with the Application Name set to iManager, which is very important as it needs to have this application name set to work.

In IS2010, this got converted and everything looks the same in the project. However it simply doesn't get installed on IIS 6 and in IIS 7 doesn't get installed with the application configured, so in both instances the conversion has resulted in the functionality no longer working.

So in IS2010, I tried everything from using Web Applications to Virtual Directories to sub applications, virtual directories with the same name, different names and so on, but could not find any combination where it would install as required on both IIS 7 and IIS 6.

I did find a combination that worked in IIS 7, but not IIS 6, so in the project I now have currently got a Web Application configured called "iManager" which correctly installs a Virtual Directory with iManager configured as the application name in IIS 7. However in IIS6 I get nothing installed at all, no virtual directory anything under the Default Web Site.

FYI, Windows 2008 Server R2 (64-bit) for IIS 7 and Windows 2003 Server R2 (64-bit) for IIS 6 are the OSs I'm using for testing. I'm not targeting 32-bit or 64-bit specifically in the IIS settings, but I am targeting ASP.NET 2.0 specifically.

The project is an InstallScript project (not MSI). I have tried a basic MSI project and get the same problems.

This looks like a bug in IS 2010.

Can anyone help?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies