cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgs424
Level 3

Version of the VS++2010 redistributable

I have a basic MFC program and I created 2 install programs...one using Visual Studio INSTALLER, and the other using Install Shield LE. I am using VS2010 with SP1. I noticed that the versions of the Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2010 x86 redistributable are different for each installer. (i verify the version by going to add/remove programs and I see it listed there).

For Windows Installer, the version is 10.0.40219
For InstallShield, the version is 10.0.30319

My research tells me that version 10.0.40219 is that one I want since that is for VS2010 SP1. Do you know why InstallShield is installing an older version of the redistibutable?
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello rgs424,

In InstallShield Limited Edition only few major redistributables which are used frequently are provided. Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 redistributable package (x86) is provided with other editions of InstallShield (Premier, Professional and Express). InstallShield Limited Edition is shipped along with Microsoft Visual Studio which has few limitations and one of them being the non-availability of few Redistributables.

InstallShield Limited Edition is used to create very basic installer and minimal functionalities are included whereas in other editions of InstallShield (Premier, Professional and Express) various features and functionalities are included.

Prerequisite editor is available in InstallShield Premier and Professional edition which is used to create/edit InstallShield Prerequisites.

The various features of InstallShield Editions are
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/products/installshield/features.htm

Hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallShield 2011 Limited Edition includes an earlier version of those redistributables because we released InstallShield 2011 Limited Edition before Microsoft released the new version. You can obtain the latest version from the following KB article:
Q212595: Support for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and .NET 4 Update Redistributables
0 Kudos
rgs424
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
InstallShield 2011 Limited Edition includes an earlier version of those redistributables because we released InstallShield 2011 Limited Edition before Microsoft released the new version. You can obtain the latest version from the following KB article:

I went to this article. The directories that it refers to, such as ""C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\SetupPrerequisites"" and "C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Modules\i386" do not exist on my machine. I have VS2010_SP1 installed with InstallShield LE.
0 Kudos
rgs424
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:

Sorry if this is a double post. But the article you referred me to refers to directories that do not exist on my laptop. My laptop has VS2010_SP1 installed with IS Limited Edition, but these directories do not exist...

"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Modules\i386"
"C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\SetupPrerequisites"
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The paths on your system probably look something like this:
C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2011LE\...
0 Kudos
jwlundk
Level 3

If you have a 64-Bit Windows 7 or Vista OS you should check this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield
0 Kudos