cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
InstallShield__
Level 3

Verbose compilation log

Is there a command to compile an .ism project verbosely?

I'm getting a very poor error message:
Loading File table
Building File table
ISDEV : error : 0:

and I'm wondering if there's a way to get more verbose logs of the compilation output.
Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you build your project with the command line build utility, a verbose log can be created. The typical command line (for MSI projects) for building with iscmdbld.exe is something like:
iscmdbld.exe -p "C:\PathToProject\Project.ism" -a "Product Configuration Name" -r "Release Name" -v

The -a parameter specifies the product configuration in the project and -r specifies the release contained in the product configuration to build. The -v option will create a verbose log.

Note that iscmdbld.exe is located in C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\System.
0 Kudos
InstallShield__
Level 3

Thanks a lot!
Do you know any possibility to send this verbose option from inside the devenv command / Visual Studio 2008?

I have .NET project outputs included in the .ism project and the iscmdbld command fails at Loading File table with error:
[FONT="Courier New"]ISDEV : error -6302: InstallShield could not resolve Visual Studio .NET project output "CompositeUI.Primary output" from component "CompositeUI.Primary_output". You need to build the project in Visual Studio .NET or by using the Visual Studio .NET command line: devenv /build ConfigName [/project ProjName] [/projectconfig ConfigName] SolutionName[/FONT]

Thus, it doesn't get to Building File table and I can't see the actual reason for the main ISDEV : error : 0: error.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately there isn't any way to create a verbose build log without using iscmdbld.exe.

The next thing you may want to try to troubleshoot this issue would be try creating a new test project just to make sure that builds. If it does, try removing parts of your other project (such as files or project output references) until the error no longer occurs; this can at help to isolate the cause of the behavior.
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

I am having this issue with trying to build my install shield project via the command line with IsCmdbld.exe....I can build my project through Visual Studio, but when I take the same project and try to build on the command line, I get the errror " Install Shield can not resolve Visual Studio .NET project output"...

I have a very simple test InstallScriptMSI project, with one project output designated.

I really need to be able to build these installs via the command line with project output.

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If you are using project outputs in your InstallShield project, these cannot be resolved through the command line build which runs outside of the Visual Studio environment.

However, if you build with from the command line with msbuild, this should allow you to build your project outside of the Visual Studio IDE. More information can be found in the InstallShield help library in the topic "Using MSBuild to Build a Release from the Command Line."
0 Kudos
InstallShield__
Level 3

joshstechnij, could you please take a look here: Building file table ISDEV : error : 0:?
Thank you.
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

Josh,
you don't happen to have an example of using msbuild to build an InstallScriptMSI project do you?
0 Kudos