cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenebrae
Level 4

VS / TFS 2008 integration - issues

Hi,

I've found this thread for IS 12 & TFS 2005 - http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=160694 - it wasn't resolved.

Now it seems that it's still the issue with the latest versions: TFS 2008 SP1 / VS 2008 SP1 / IS 2010 SP1.

1. I can't integrate basic msi project (migrated from IS 2009) with source control. The issue is the same as in the thread mentioned above.

2. For native visual studio projects, you can define pre-build and post-build steps, where you can call a script or any type of command. Since I need to do a bunch of steps to prepare sources / product build output, I thought I'd use this feature. Unfortunately, it's not available for integrated installshield project.

3. I can see the same bug as in native IS IDE - not remembering changes to UI (i.e. split ratio between function list and code window in installscript wintow).

On the whole, this VS integration is not good at all and it doesn't seem to get better in the new versions of InstallShield

Regards,

tene
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

Did you try the TFS MSSCCI provider? When installed, the IS IDE should see and use it. You can get it from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FAEB7636-644E-451A-90D4-7947217DA0E7&displaylang=en

We will be looking to support VS/TFS 2010 in a future release.
0 Kudos
pmatlock
Level 6

I am trying to create a InstallScriptMSI project within an existing VS2008 solution...the IDE is not behaving at all...is this a known issue? I do not have access to my menu's, I can't build my Install Shield project, or any of my other VS projects...I have Install Shield 2010 Premier Edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
tenebrae
Level 4

Marwan wrote:
Did you try the TFS MSSCCI provider? When installed, the IS IDE should see and use it. You can get it from here
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FAEB7636-644E-451A-90D4-7947217DA0E7&displaylang=en

We will be looking to support VS/TFS 2010 in a future release.

1. I installed this component, but basically do not see any difference from the IS IDE perspective. From the VS IDE there's some difference, I was able to add IS project to VS solution. But still no support for pre-build and post-build steps which was my main concern (I need to do it so without it I have to build installers in separate step anyway).
2. You know... looking at things does get one not a step further. Why haven't you looked at full support for 2008 line before?

3. My two other concerns were totally ignored and left unanswered. You might find it relatively funny, but the issue with not remebering my UI settings and having to move the splitter couple of times every hour is currently one of the core issues driving me to move away from InstanShield and migrate the whole project to other solution.
0 Kudos
tenebrae
Level 4

Seems like I should quit expecting to get some help / feedback / comment on this...
0 Kudos
Marwan
Level 7

I just downloaded and installed Team Foundation Server MSSCCI Provider 2010 and all the Source Control functionality works great in the InstallShield IDE.
0 Kudos