cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbarlow
Level 7

Using system search to see if registry entries exist

Does anyone know how to use system search to check on whether or not a certain registry entry exists? What would I put for the condition? I don't want the installation to run if the registry key is set to false and also if the key is missing altogether. If I use CONDITION="FALSE", the installer still runs even if the key is missing. Any suggestions?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Dan_Galender
Level 10

You could use the condition

(Not CONDITION) Or (CONDITION="False")

[The parentheses are not necessary, but I like to include them for clarity.]

The condition, CONDITION, will succeed if the property CONDITION has any value, so Not CONDITION will succeed if the property has no value (which happens if the search fails).
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

This didn't seem to work, but I don't think it's because the syntax was bad. I've fooled around with lots of different conditions, so I've created several different system searches, and based on the behavior of my installation, it seems that the installer is still running old system searches that I've since deleted from the System Search view. Could it be that somehow the old system searches are still lingering inside the .msi installer tables? Would I have to use Orca to check for sure or is there another way?

Thanks!

Clark
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

You could, but why don't you try an installation and generate an MSI log file. That way you can see what is being searched for and what properties are being set.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

I just noticed in the Product Properties tab of the General Information View that there are 9 conditions listed for my project. I only have one showing in the System Search view. The other eight are ones I thought I had deleted. If I click on the ellipses to open the Product Condition Builder, I can see all the conditions that are being checked. How can I get rid of the ones I don't want?
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

When you have a LaunchCondition (AKA InstallCondition) based on a System Search, when you delete the search, it doesn't automatically delete the LaunchCondition, you have to do that yourself. When you click on the ellipsis and display the LaunchConditions, just right-click and select "Delete" on any that you want to get rid of.
0 Kudos
cbarlow
Level 7

Also, since I have setup prerequisites, I don't build an .msi file, just a setup.exe file. Is there a way to generate a similar report without an .msi file?

Thanks,

Clark
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

Run the command

Setup.exe /v"/l*v c:\msilog.txt"

This will generate the file c:\mislog.txt.
0 Kudos