cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flyingpancake
Level 2

Using client system info to choose which files to install?

I have 3 executable files:

1) For users with nVidia cards only
2) For AMD cards only
3) For users without dedicated graphics (CPU only)

Is there any way to determine the user's system config (eg. scanning for driver files) and use this information to specify which files and services are installed?

I'm really a beginner to using InstallShield and am not particularly keen on getting into any kind of scripting, so a straightforward and detailed guide would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance! 🙂
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ITI_Randy
Level 6

flyingpancake wrote:
I have 3 executable files:

1) For users with nVidia cards only
2) For AMD cards only
3) For users without dedicated graphics (CPU only)

Is there any way to determine the user's system config (eg. scanning for driver files) and use this information to specify which files and services are installed?

I'm really a beginner to using InstallShield and am not particularly keen on getting into any kind of scripting, so a straightforward and detailed guide would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

1. Find the best way to get the value of the system config data you need. For instance, to determine the video driver of the target machine see http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/200435
2. Add new properties in the Behavior and Logic > Property Manager to be used as condition flags on the your components which will be set via a custom action or system search.
3. Determine the best method to use for setting the property flags. This will have to happen early in the sequence. If searching the registry for the value will suffice, it may be possible to use a simple System Search to set the property flags.
4. Add the condition flag to the Condition property of each of the components (executable files) in question.
0 Kudos