cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgattu
Level 3

UseDLL to load 64bit dll

Hi

Is there any installshield version that can load 64 bit DLL's ? If there is no such thing what is the right alternative with minimal code changes?

Can someone point me to sample code for the alternative, Basically we are loading dll to call the  'C' functions present in the dll, so please suggest a good alternative

Regards,
pgattu

0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Bikram
Flexera Alumni

Hello pgattu,

If you are writing applications for 64-bit Windows-based systems, you can refer this link: https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/helplibrary/Targeting64Bit-MSI.htm

It tells about the ways to install your 64-bit files and other data.

If this doesn't help, can you elaborate more about the situation.

Thanks,

Bikram

0 Kudos

Hi @Bikram ,

I've seen the article earlier but I'm working on an existing project when it was 32 bit they have used useDLL function to load dll's and use them further to call C functions

Now that we want to ship 64 bit product, our management doesn't want big changes to be made to the code( like writing from scratch, they have used IS 5.5 earlier) so what can be the best solution if useDLL doesn't support loading 64 bit dlls' ?

We are ready to buy any installshield product that supports loading 64 bit dll's or let us know any simpler alternative for this, I saw somewhere in forum creating stubs might solve the problem but i couldn't understand what he meant, if you could possibly explain that might help

Thanks,
pgattu

0 Kudos
ch_eng
Level 7

pgattu,

I recently had a support case re: calling 64bit DLL functions from InstallScript and can confirm they are not supported.  The alternative is that you must compile your DLL as win32/x86/32bit.  My example is using managed code (aka VB.NET DLL) so I don't know the nuanced differences for unmanaged (aka C), but for managed code, your DLL must be configured as COM visible and use the InstallScript function DotNetCoCreateObject:
https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield22helplib/Subsystems/installshield22langref/helplibrary/DotNetCoCreateObject.htm

HTH

0 Kudos

Hi @ch_eng 

Thanks for the info 🙂

Thanks,
pgattu

0 Kudos