cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Use property value from msi in Configurable merge package

Hi.

Have seen at least 4 threds asking about this but no one have answered them, now I will try to ask the same question.

I have a configurable merge package that have a property that are configurable.

I have created a dialog asking the user for some feedback and put into a property in the msi.

Now I want to use the property in the merge package.

I have tried to use both [MSIPROPERTYNAME] and MSIPROPERTYNAME in the configurable values view but the outcome is just [MSIPROPERTYNAME] and MSIPROPERTYNAME in the merge package not the actual value I want.

Im using InstallShield 2011 Pro and basic msi

Can anyone help med with the right syntax?

Thanks in advance.

Jens
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
TsungH
Level 12

It is possible that the configurable merge module isn't created correctly, hence not doing what it is supposed to do. It's hard to troubleshoot this remotely, harder when not knowing anything that have been done. You may want to start with Configurable Merge Modules.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

It seems that the merge module is working as it should.

It is just two small test projects to investigate whatever merge packages can be used in our products.

The merge module only writes into a reg value. Whatever is hardcoded in the msi package is written through the merge module to the registry. So I suppose it works at it should. But as soon as I try to transfer a property to the merge module it uses the property name instead of the value.
If I write [MSIPROPERTY] in the msi package the merge package write [MSIPROPERTY] in the regestry. But the property [MSIPROPERTY] contains a value from the dialog.

Can I upload the two projects, so someone can look at them?

Best Regards
Jens
0 Kudos
enanrum
Level 9

What are you configuring in your MSM? If your just trying to use properties from the main installer to the msm, then I would not bother with any of the Direct Editor Table configurations from that article.

As long as your properties are named the same, whatever you change the property to in the Installer, it will be changed in the MSM. I'm not sure how you are using the property but if it is in a registry entry, you can use [MYPROP]

As a test, in your msm - create a property in the Property Manager and set it to a value: MYPROP = msm_property and use this in a registry entry.

HKLM/Software/whatever/
add string entry: myMSMentry = [MYPROP]

Create the same property in your install package and call it MYPROP = installer_property.

HKLM/Software/whatever/
add string entry: myINSTALLentry = [MYPROP]

When you run the installer you will see that both entries will = installer_property.

If you were to use a property in a dialog, just use the property name with no brackets: Create Edit Field, Property = MYPROP

If you are using a property in a condition - you do not need brackets.
ie: in the Next PushButton event condition: MYPROP="VALUE"

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Sure. If possible, upload the merge module too.
jenskjensen wrote:
Can I upload the two projects, so someone can look at them?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.
Just having the same name of properties in both msi and msm did the trick.

Ufortunately msm packages does not support xml changes, so I cant use it because the msm packages I wanted to create all depending on changing some xml before starting a service. Is that right?

Have a nice day.
Jens
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

That's correct, merge module project doesn't expose XML File Changes view.
0 Kudos