cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnBaird
Level 2

Urgent issue with updating previous product version

I've just shipped a product where the installer is created using InstallShield 2012. A clean install works just fine. But if an older version of my product is installed, where the Installer was created using InstallShield 11, the 2012 installer fails with "File Transfer Error" after attempting to update v17 of my product (IS 11) to v18 (IS 2012). Something is screwing up bigtime, the error is occurring installing the first component but it reports the path variable for the 4th component and error "Access is denied". If I then attempt to uninstall v17 via the Control Panel, that fails with a Runtime error quoting path C:\users\ADMIN~1\AppData\Local\Temp\setxxxx.tmp where xxxx changes on each occasion.

First question is how to clean up this mess i.e. how can I uninstall v17, so v18 can be installed. I need to provide my customers with a way to move forward.

Second question is why is this occurring? If IS 2012 cannot upgrade an IS 11 installation, should it not recognise that fact and not attempt to do so?

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks, John
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
JohnBaird
Level 2

Ok, I've figured out an answer to the first question. Running the v17 (IS 11) installer and doing a repair allows it to be uninstalled.

But why is this issue happening? Was there something I should have done in the installer to prevent this? Or is this an IS 2012 bug?

Thanks, John
0 Kudos