cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goodgimp
Level 2

Upgrading from 11.5 - CA question

Hello all,

Hoping I can get some advice on my situation. Currently I have an installation that is designed to deploy on a server with no user interaction (it's run completely silently). There are about 50 configuration values which have to be taken into account depending on what environment it is being deployed to it at the time. Currently, this is handled by reading the values from an XML configuration document and placed into Windows Installer properties for use during the installation process. This works great for me in InstallShield 11.5.

Doing some research, I've become aware that Deferred custom actions no longer have access to the Windows Installer properties, so there's going to be some re-engineering of how my process works. I understand that I could cram all 50 or so values into CustomActionData, but that seems only reasonable if I was using a small number of properties. For 50, it seems rather.. unwieldy, and prone to error, trying to parse it out and determine what config value should be associated with what property.

Does anyone with experience working with several properties as described above have any advice on how to go about doing it nowadays? I'm debating just junking the entire thing and writing a C# app to handle all the configuration after the software has been deployed, but due to time constraints I'd prefer to keep and modify my existing work if there's a way to do it realistically.

Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rasky74
Level 6

InstallScript or BasicMSI? I think with InstallScript you can create response files that the setup.exe uses.
0 Kudos
goodgimp
Level 2

This would be for a BasicMSI installation. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.
0 Kudos