cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZildRemo
Level 3

Upgrade fails (but says it succeeded)

I experience a problem when trying to upgrade from a released version of my installer ("V1") to a new version currently under testing ("V2"). The installer reports that the upgrade has been successful, however none of the existing files are updated to their newer versions, none of the new files are added and none of the required shortcut changes take effect.

Interestingly, if I rebuild V1 now using an archived version of the project, I can then upgrade from that to V2 without incident. This suggests to me that the problem is not with the basic settings in either V1 or V2, rather that it is a problem with InstallShield itself or some more obscure setting (for example, I believe some options for prerequisites are not saved as part of the .ism file and therefore may have changed since the original V1 was created?)

Any suggestions as to what may be occurring, and how I can make it so that customers who already have V1 can upgrade to V2 without uninstalling?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The following article explains the typical cause of this behavior:
InstallValidate Nulled Out My Request (Part III)

If you are using dynamic file links in your project, the "previous package" setting in the latest release should be used to point to the previous release to ensure component codes and file keys are synced between the two packages.
0 Kudos
ZildRemo
Level 3

Thanks. Unfortunately I cannot find any reference to a "previous package" in either the designer or the help. It is a Basic MSI Project.

EDIT: Oh wait, I see one now in Releases. My bad.
0 Kudos