cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loyalp
Level 5

Upgrade almost perfect

We've started our latest product line with IS 2009 Pro and an MSI InstallScript project. Let's say the first of the series has a version of 5.6.1 (Don't ask me how the versioning was determined, that was out of my control.) 🙂

I've now created an install package for 5.6.2 and we have it working really well as a major upgrade that does a complete uninstall and reinstall, except for just one thing: we are left with an entry in the Add/Remove programs listing for the 5.6.1 version. This entry also has a broken icon graphic. In all other ways the upgrade seems to have worked perfectly. Shouldn't the complete uninstall part of the upgrade be removing the Add/Remove entry?

Is there anything specific I can look for in a verbose log or on the machine to help figure out why this entry gets left?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
yamakamyar
Level 6

have you tried

msiexec /x /Lv "C\uninstallLog.log"
0 Kudos
loyalp
Level 5

yamakamyar wrote:
have you tried

msiexec /x /Lv "C\uninstallLog.log"

It's a setup.exe with no msi, so I went with the "msiexec /x guid" option.

It leaves the entry in Add/Remove programs as well. :confused:
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

hi
I too facing same problem...
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

An InstallScript MSI writes some extra registry keys with an uninstall string that allows the script engine to run and control when the msi runs to uninstall. If you uninstall the MSI directly by running msiexec, you're skipping the script engine, which will uninstall its registry entries and remove the Add/Remove Program information it controls.

Your reply confused me, though. If you have a compressed setup.exe with the MSI embedded in it, aren't you running the setup.exe with no parameters instead of msiexec?
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

Hi Morey,

I do not have any experience in InstallShield. I am in learning stage.I am not getting how to start and from where to start.. could you please help me.....now I am using IS2009...

thanks
Madhu
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

Hi Morey,

I do not have any experience in InstallShield. I am in learning stage.I am not getting how to start and from where to start.. could you please help me.....now I am using IS2009...

thanks
Madhu
0 Kudos
loyalp
Level 5

KathyMorey wrote:

Your reply confused me, though. If you have a compressed setup.exe with the MSI embedded in it, aren't you running the setup.exe with no parameters instead of msiexec?

To install, yes I am. To un-install I did a test with misexec and used the guid. It provided the same results as uninstalling the setup.exe. I've got a uninstall log now and am trying to figure out what is going on.
0 Kudos