cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Upgrade Packages from Suite

I am having trouble upgrading Basic MSI packages from a Suite. The packages upgrade fine if run individually, but I don’t find much info on how to upgrade them from a Suite project. What I have done so far is:
1. Unique Suite Guid for both old and new version (otherwise it assumes Install)
2. Changed the ‘MaintenanceWelcome’ wizard page to replace ‘Modify’ with ‘Upgrade’.
3. When the user clicks on Upgrade I:
a. Set IsInstallMode to upgrade or install (neither works)
b. Set the Active Page to a new one I created that basically just prompts the user for verification (that works)
c. When the user clicks on ‘Next’ I:
- Set FEATURE[MyFeatureName].actionState to upgrade or install (neither works)
- Install Page = InstallationProgress
4. None of the feature/packages get upgraded, but the Suite gets installed (now I have 2 suites; the old and the new)

Do I need to NOT change the Suite Guid, let it go to ‘InstallationType’ page and upgrade from there? I started down that path and still end up with 2 suites; the old and the new.

Thanks for any advice!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It sounds like this is covered by the information we've released in a white paper: Managing the Life Cycle of a Suite/Advanced UI Installation. This is available as a link from the front page of HelpNet.

I think you're missing a few steps, as I would typically craft an upgrade scenario as part of a higher versioned suite that shares the same Suite ID. Then the end user encounters first-time installation UI instead of maintenance UI, and things should go smoothly from there. But if you haven't already checked out the white paper, give it a look and see if it helps!
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Michael... that got me going. That certainly is a comprehensive document!
Is there a good way to tell if this is an upgrade? I want to put that condition on some text fields.
Thanks Again
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You can use the Suite Installed condition to check for the presence of another suite with the same SuiteId and different (or lesser) version. See the example usage in the default Exit Condition, but remember you may have to fill in the Suite GUID explicitly, depending on where you use the condition.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Hmmm.... haven't got that figured out yet.

Also would like to ONLY make the features (packages) that are currently installed be available for upgrade. Haven't got those conditions right yet either. Checking for
FEATURE[xyz].installState=0
does not work
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
I want to put a 'Visible' condition on a control. The only choices there are 'Property Comparison' and 'Mode'. Can I do anything with a property comparison?
Thanks
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier; I'm sure you can imagine why.

Decompressing what I should have said earlier, the UI is indeed limited to those types of comparisons. However you can add a Set Property action in the Events view and condition it using the fuller set of conditions available to the suite engine. You can then reference that property with a Property Comparison condition in the wizard.
0 Kudos