cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jstarbird
Level 5

Upgrade/Different versioning question - Basic MSI

First appologies if this is something that has been answered, I wasn't sure what to search for to look for this situtation.
Our versioning is non standard, xxx.xx.xx.xxx with the last 3 digit number being our build numbers. We also need to allow our users to have multiple versions installed, not multiple instances of the same version but multiple versions. So a user can have 123.01.01.xxx and 123.02.02.xxx.
I know how to handle that type of setup but what I am trying to figure out is how to handle alllowing the above while upgrading a situation of 123.01.01.123 to 123.01.01.124 . This is how we handle hotfixes.

I figured I could write my own custom action that compares my versions but what I was wondering is can I change a property in the sequence after FindRelatedProducts or CCPSearch and if so what property should I change that would make the installer go into Upgrade mode?

Thanks,
J
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Cygnusx1
Level 8

Windows Installer only recognizes the first three octets.
Maybe in the Upgrade table use version max as 123.01.9999?
0 Kudos
jstarbird
Level 5

yeah I know that about the MSI, what I don't understand is why IS forces confromity with it. Why not allow us to set the Major, minor, revision and build in separate fields and then they use in the correct method internally?? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Anyway, I'm assuming you mean to use that for the Major Upgrade table, I tried that and it made no difference.

Does anyone know how I can just bypass the checks, build my own?? I know I can use things from the command line, Reinstallmode and reinstall flags, but that does not do a true upgrade, remove previous and install new, in on flow which I need to have for the circumstances I have. I know I can call a uninstall and then call an install but that's a crappy user experience since I have to launch the installers twice.

Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
Cygnusx1
Level 8

make it more encompassing: Upgrade Table: add the UpgradeCode, versionMAX=999.999.9999 (to uninstall all versions), Attrinutes=1025, ActionProperty=REMOVE_ALL. Add REMOVE_ALL to the SecureCustomProperties property. This will uninstall all version of the UpgradeCode entered.
Does not get much simpler than a UpgradeCode and VersionMinand VersionMax.
This is a Windows Installer item; not IS. Other than that I am not following your logic.
0 Kudos
jstarbird
Level 5

Thanks for that info. I tried it but I kept getting that Another Version is installed error. I tried changing the Product Code as well, leaving Upgrade code the same, and that did the trick. Thanks I didn't know about that setting the version string like that could make it upgrade all the time.
Sorry if you repeated some other post in passing that on but I really appreciate it. I had done a lot of searching but never found a mention of that kind of setting.

Thanks,
J
0 Kudos