cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tvirl438
Level 3

Updating client software

We have been users of Wise software for the past 2 decades. Since Wise doesn’t make software anymore, we are ready to make the switch to InstallShield Professional, we are currently evaluating the software. One of the features of Wise was a program called WiseUpdt. This would be put on the end users’ machines in our program’s directory. When we would publish a new installation to our web server, the end user would run wiseupdt to download the update.

Is there an equivalent to this in InstallShield Professional? The sales person I talked to mentioned an Auto Check for Updates/Patches feature that is built in but I haven’t found that yet. She said this is different from the FlexNet Connect feature.

I tried to look at the documentation but it is 3000 pages.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

0 Kudos
tvirl438
Level 3

DebbieL wrote:
I'm guessing that the salesperson was referring to the feature that is described in this help topic:
Adding Support for Automatic Updates to an Advanced UI or Suite/Advanced UI Installation

Here's some background on Advanced UI and Suite/Advanced UI projects:
Creating Advanced UI and Suite/Advanced UI Installations
Guidelines for Adding Packages to an Advanced UI or Suite/Advanced UI Project
Defining the End-User Interface of an Advanced UI or Suite/Advanced UI Installation

So this will automatically check when they open our application? Is there a way to have them initiate this instead? Will this open an update client or website? Our software runs calculations so the end user needs to be able to decide when to apply the update (which is basically replacing some dll's and running a SQL script).
0 Kudos
tvirl438
Level 3

This may show up as a second response, don't know where the first one went.

Does the update happen automatically when the user opens our app? We would like the user to initiate the update. We are dealing with pension calculations and they need to know when they are running or not running the latest code and initiate the update when they are ready. What is the interface for this? A website or a client app?

All our updates really include are a new dll files and running of SQL scripts.
0 Kudos