cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Isi123456
Level 3

Update

Hello,

I have a problem with my setup.exe, when i want update my setup some composant are not installed. In the log, i have :
FOR FEATURE
MSI (s) (2C:48) [09:54:32:979]: Feature: XXX_Files; Installed: Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
AND for componant of the feature:
MSI (s) (2C:48) [09:54:32:979]: Component: XXX_OVERWRITE_xdll; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

And for my second feature, all is good, componants are updated.
Feature: YYY; Installed: Local; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
Component: YYY_files; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local

Other information :
Command Line: REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vamus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1
Who can help me, please.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
J_anitha
Level 8

Try adding all the required features in ADDLOCAL property.
0 Kudos
Isi123456
Level 3

so, I have "ALL" as the value and the logs, it tells me that he took all my features

I forgot this information :

Dumping binary patch manager data...
MSI (s) (58:B4) [14:10:07:120]: The file represented by File table key 'xxx.dll' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (58:B4) [14:10:07:121]: The file represented by File table key 'yyy.exe' has no eligible binary patches
MSI (s) (58:B4) [14:10:07:122]: The file represented by File table key 'zzz.dll' has no eligible binary patches
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Use the Update Validation Wizard to make sure no component/key file was removed from the most recent MSI package, compared to the previous version.

One good point to remember: if you have used Dynamic Links, some components/key files might have been removed without you realizing.
0 Kudos
Isi123456
Level 3

Thank you for your reply, but where can I find the "Update Validation Wizard"?

And another question: Do you believe a feature with full component is not installed because it lacks a file in a component?
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

As you probably know, if your setup must support minor upgrades, you must not delete any component or component's key file.
If you do, performing the minor update will set the corresponding feature as advertised, although it was locally installed by the original setup.

Now think about the dynamic links: if the "Create best practice components" checkbox is disabled, they create components dynamically when you build, and choose the first file in each subfolder as key file.
If you removed one file in a folder that is dynamically linked, the build will not tell you that the file is missing, and your minor upgrade will go through, but some features might then be advertised.
It is a common problem when using dynamic links.

On top of that, the component names are randomly generated at each build when using these dynamic links. Another constraint of a minor upgrade is that you cannot change the name of a component. So, you need to tell InstallShield where your previous MSI package is before building your next release. In the Releases view, click on the media, then on the Build tab, and set the Previous Package.

This is where the upgrade validation wizard comes in handy!
in the menu: Build-->Validate-->Upgrade Validation Wizard...
The rest should be self explanatory.

There are quite a few threads about this problem

Note that some of these problems disappear if you set your dynamic links to "Create best practice components", but I am not sure this option is available in IS 2009. It definitely is in IS 2010.

I hope that helps.
Regards
0 Kudos
Isi123456
Level 3

Merci pour votre aide, en effet, j'utilise "Dynamic Files" et 3 fichiers
ont été supprimés par quelqu'un
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Il n'y a pas de quoi.
My recommendation: avoid using dynamic links. They are evil.
Regards
0 Kudos