cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobForrest
Level 3

Update to Visual C++ 8 CRT/MFC merge module (MSM)

Hi,

I have a project that required the latest merge modules for Visual C++8.
How can I get the latest merge modules showing and available in Redistributables?

Currently I have:
Visual C++ 8.0 MFC (x86) WinSXS MSM - version 8.0.50727.762
Visual C++ 8.0 CRT (x86) WinSXS MSM - version 8.0.50727.762

I need to upgrade to version 8.0.50727.4053 that was recently released.

The microsoft c++ service pack from July 28th 2009 has these updates but I can't apply them to the PC as it doesn't have VC++ 2005 installed.

I tried the IS Redistributable Downloaded (this is only for .NET updates?) and also the Check for Updates option doesn't work - I get Error 13003

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Rob
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
bredlie
Level 2

I have run into the same problem and am waiting to hear back from Support. If I hear from them I will post it here.
0 Kudos
raungst
Level 2

I have the same problem. Has anyone heard anything?
0 Kudos
RobForrest
Level 3

I emailed tech support but their reply wasnt particularly helpful. In the end we had to download the Vis Studio 2005 security redistributable containing the .msm files to a PC that had VS2005 and then copy the .msm files to the PC running InstallShield. Then when I started IS and looked in the redistributables view the updated merge modules were there. Thankfully, this did the trick and I was able to get the installer working correctly!

Rob
0 Kudos
bredlie
Level 2

Below is the response from tech support. It was not worth the time spent waiting for it. The solution given above seems to work though. If anybody has a direct link to the merge file at Microsoft it would probably help other folks out. Acresso could have been a LOT more helpful with this problem.

---- response ----

Robert,

Merge Modules are something that we provide as convenience. These merge modules are not ours but are Microsoft’s. If there is an update to that merge module you will need to talk to them about that. All that we provide are the ones provided in that view.

Sincerely,
xxxxxx

Technical Support Engineer
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
EJSchuiteman
Level 4

Hi all,

I've downloaded the redistributable package and installed it, but where are the .msm files being placed? I'm currently running on a vista x86 machine.

Kind regards,

Evert-Jan
0 Kudos
RichardAyling
Level 2

A search of my system revealed the service pack had placed the required modules in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules

I copied the non-debug modules to the Installshield directory:

C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\Modules\i386

Now everything is fine. I did not have to change the project, just re-build. My App now installs and runs OK.

Regards
Richard
0 Kudos
EJSchuiteman
Level 4

Thank you.
0 Kudos
gbaltazar
Level 6

can somebody post a link to the installer that contains these MSMs? I am in the same situation and need to update the MSMs in our build machine.
0 Kudos
gbaltazar
Level 6

I've successfully updated the MSMs. However, I've noticed a couple of glaring side effects to our uninstallation process. First, the uninstall now takes several minutes. An inspection of the log reveals that there is a custom action running on uninstall named "sxscleanup" (three guesses as to what might be the culprit). The other side effect is on XP, when uninstalling, MSI will pop-up a window saying IE and/or Outlook must be closed first before continuing. We never encountered these issues before using the updated MSMs (the CRT MSM only). I was wondering if anybody else has run into a similar issue as these seem to be very bad bugs...:confused:
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I must be missing something as I looked for the updated Merge modules and I could not find them for download.

Can someone point out the exact download like for the VS 2005 SP1 merge modules?

Also these problems you are running into are they only related to uninstall and SP1 of the merge modules?
0 Kudos