Update following QuickPatch deletes file
A software installation v5.02.08 (Express Project) was created using InstallShield 2018 and has been followed by two QuickPatch updates (v5.02.09 and v5.02.10). These both installed a new version of an Access Runtime database. This database was un-versioned and the file property 'Overwrite any existing file' was checked.
So far so good...
However for the next upgrade to the software (v5.02.12) it was necessary to create a full Installation / Update (Express Project). In this I did assign a file version number to the Access Runtime database.
When this installer is run on a system that has had either or both of the QuickPatch updates installed the Runtime database is deleted from the target system, but the new version is not installed.
If v5.02.12 is then re-run and the Repair option taken the new version of the Runtime Database is installed correctly.
If v5.02.12 is run on a system which has v5.02.08 installed, but neither of the QuickPatch updates, then the upgrade works perfectly first time.
Can anybody suggest an explanation as to why this is happening and, more importantly, how to prevent it happening again in the future?
Hi @AndyBentley ,
- As per file versioning rules mentioned in the below link,versioned file has to win over non-versioned one.
- In that case v5.02.12 update should have updated the non-versioned access database.
- Can you explain why the file is getting deleted here?
- Can you enable log as well with(out) having update.exe?
- msiexec /p "<PatchPath>\PatchPackage.msp" /qb /l*v "c:\LogFolder\QPatchinstallation.log"-Without update.exe
- setup.exe /l*v "c:\LogFolder\QPatchinstallation.log"-With update.exe
- By troubleshooting quick patch log file,you would get clue on what goes wrong.
HI @Jenifer, thanks for your post.
I have checked the MSI installer log for v5.02.12 (attached) and the issue seems to be related to the fact that I have somehow (not intentionally) changed the Product Code.
The log indicates (at MSI (s) (7C:1C) [13:12:56:187]:) that the new file is copied ok, but later (at MSI (s) (7C:4C) [13:12:57:194]:) it is then removed.
I do not understand why this should happen with just this one file out of the whole application.
Hi @AndyBentley ,
Yeah changing the product code is as similar to Major Upgrade,which will reinstall the product .That is where you were able to see,file getting removed and added back!!