cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

Update does not install files or restart services

I have an MSI project that installs a .Net application. Every time I make a change to the app, I rebuild, version the files and rebuild the install. When it runs it either installs to a clean system or updates the current installation. In the case of an over install, services are stopped, files copied, then services restarted.

The production build did not correctly include 2 dlls. These dlls are automatically added during the .net dependency scan so all works fine. I have added Oracle support to my application but I do not want to install the required .net dlls. So I need to remove the depency scans. This also requires me to add the 2 dlls previously mentioned. I create a component for each dll. Now when I run an overinstall, no files are installed and my services are not stopped or re-started. I would expect this behaviour if I removed a component but not in the case of adding a component. What can I do to resolve this issue without running a major upgrade?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
gbaltazar
Level 6

You should be able to add components through a minor upgrade, are your new components set as keyfiles?
0 Kudos
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

I did not set the file as the 'key file'. So no key file for the component.
0 Kudos
gbaltazar
Level 6

You may need to set the file as a keyfile to force Windows Installer to evaluate the component state on a minor upgrade and thus have it installed. Is there a particular reason why these two new dlls are not set as keyfiles?
0 Kudos
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

I have set the DLLs as key files. Same problem no difference. It seems that it is impossible to add a DLL if it already exists in the target directory.
0 Kudos
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

I re-compiled the DLL and gave it a new name. Still the same problem. It seems I can not add any component without the installer failing. I am pretty sure in the past I have added DLLs to existing projects without issue. Maybe they were added using the dependency scanner. In my case this is not an option becuase I have to explicitly leave a dependent DLL out.
0 Kudos
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

Doesn't a minor upgrade require the previous installation to uninstall?
0 Kudos
mjanulaitis1234
Level 4

So all I need to do is add a minor upgrade? If I run a build every night with a new build number do I only need to point to the previous build one time? What happens when I remove old builds from my build machine? What does 'NoObjectSetupPath' mean?
0 Kudos